Their small, oval-shaped bodies and dark coloring can make bed bugs easy to miss or mistake for harmless pests, but these critters can mean big trouble for Dallas businesses. Here’s what local businesses should know about how bed bugs may get into your business, the problems they cause, how to prevent them, and what to do if you suspect you’ve already got a bed bug problem on your hands.
All The Ways Bed Bugs Can Get Into Your Dallas Business
While some pests may wander into homes or businesses because they’re looking for food, bed bugs are one of the few pests that travel with people. Regardless of how clean or sanitary your business is, bed bug infestations can happen to any home or business. Some of the most common ways that bed bugs get into Dallas businesses include:
- An employee, visitor, or customer that has an existing infestation at their home may accidentally transport bed bugs on personal items, like clothing, bags, or luggage.
- You may bring in used or secondhand furniture or appliances that already harbor bed bugs.
- Someone in your office picks up bed bugs at a “hot spot,” like a hotel, motel, airport, or even through public transportation, and brings them back to your business.
Once they’ve made it inside your business, bed bugs can hide in the tiniest of cracks and crevices. Since bed bugs are more active during the night, these critters can be even harder to find if your business isn’t staffed or open after dark.
The Problems Bed Bugs Bring To Dallas Businesses
After getting inside your business, bed bugs can cause no shortage of problems for you, your employees, visitors, or customers. While bed bugs are always a problem, they’re especially troublesome for businesses, and here’s why:
- They can trigger moderate to severe reactions in employees or customers: Bed bugs need to feed, and if they’re in your business, they may be feasting on your employees, customers, or even you. While some people may not have any reaction to a bed bug bite, others may end up with inflamed, itchy bites, or worse. This is especially troublesome for hospitals, nursing homes, doctor’s offices, or other care-based facilities.
- They can damage your brand: While homeowners may be able to deal with their bed bug problems quietly, businesses don’t always have that luxury. If your customers find out you’ve got a bed bug problem, it only takes one or two bad reviews to damage your brand. Long after you’ve treated the infestation, customers may still be reluctant to do business with you or buy your products.
- They can cause you to be less productive: If you’ve got bed bugs, there’s a good chance you’ll need to stop or slow production to find the root of the infestation and treat it. Depending on the type of business you own, a full-blown infestation could cost you a lot of valuable time.
Helpful Bed Bug Prevention Tips For Dallas Businesses
Because bed bugs can get into businesses so easily, these pests aren’t always simple to treat, but there are some prevention tips you can use to lower the risk of an infestation:
- Make sure you’re regularly inspecting common areas of your business where bed bugs may hide, like furniture or appliances in the breakroom, office chairs, and other cracks and crevices.
- Eliminate potential clutter that may serve as hiding spots for bed bugs.
- Encourage employees to report any signs of potential bed bug activity in your business, like itchy bug bites, smear marks on furniture or other personal belongings, or even live bugs.
- Ask employees to report to you if they discover or suspect a bed bug infestation at home, as they can accidentally bring these bugs into your business. Inspect any inventory or other items for signs of bed bugs before you bring them into your business.
The Best Bed Bug Protection For Dallas Businesses
While the tips above are great for bed bug prevention, there’s only one thing to do if you suspect your business already has a bed bug infestation, and that’s to contact us at Bullseye K9 Detection. Not only are businesses at greater risk for bed bugs, but with customers and employees coming and going, the stakes are even higher. If your Dallas business needs effective, fast, and reliable bed bug treatment, call us today at Bullseye K9 Detection to schedule an inspection.
I’ve found bed bugs 3 days ago. Don’t know what to do but call to Bullseye K-9 Detection. They came to my house very quickly and provided an effective solution for my issue. Recommended these guys for sure!